The World Cup might still be going on, but it's July and you know what that means? Pre-season training camp at Pinzolo is right around the corner!
There have been quite a few news stories that have been released over the past few days, as Inter president Erick Thohir landed back in Milano earlier this week.
- Manager Walter Mazzarri has been given a one year contract extension, with the deal now set to end in 2016. The goal is to get to the Champions League final for the 2015-16 season, as the Giuseppe Meazza is scheduled to host the big match that year. You can read the official press release from the Inter site here.
- President Thohir and the board have agreed and announced that Javier Zanetti's number "4" will be retired. "Pupi" is also set to be the Nerazzurri's vice president for the next two years. You can read Thohir's words here. (Coincidence that some of our Inter Poll's suggestions have been followed? I think not!)
- It was also announced that Ivan Cordoba will not continue on as team manager, but instead will be moved to the youth sector and development. His health may or may not have played a role in the move, as Cordoba was diagnosed with peritonitis and underwent surgery late last year,
- Saphir Taider is now 100% owned by Inter.
- There is a very strong rumour linking French midfielder Yann M'Vila to Inter. How strong? He is already staying in a Milan hotel, waiting for his current club, Rubin Kazan, to strike a deal with the Nerazzurri.
- Speaking of ins and outs, here is the current squad as of July 2,2014 and as listed by the Inter website:
- Inter was successful on its appeal of getting the Curva Nord ban reduced. The second, green tier (home of the Curva Nord) will be open for the first home match of the season.
- On the social media front, Inter have just launched two twitter accounts geared for the Asian market: @InterOfficialID for Indonesia and @InterOfficialJP for Japan.
- Zanetti is also now on Facebook.