I’m not one for a lot of mercato rumors, but let’s face it … they are everywhere. It seems Inter is linked with everyone and everyone is linked with Inter.
But, one trend I have noticed in the last few weeks is that of all the teams in Europe Inter could be doing business with this summer, Tottenham Hotspur seems to come up the most.
Most recently, the North London club has been linked with Inter Milan winger Antonio Candreva – who has had no indication of actually leaving the club this year (and I reiterate … this year).
Calciomercato.com reported Mauricio Pochettino is interested in adding Candreva to bolster his wing attacks ahead of next season’s Premier League campaign. However, Candreva’s agent, Federico Pastorello said Candreva is not really actively looking to leave.
“Candreva is happy to stay in Milan,” Pastorello said. “But let’s see if something comes up, we’ll evaluate.”
Which, of course, is what any good agent would say unless there was a big, fat contract to stay sitting in front of them … of which there is not. Candreva is under contract with the Nerazzurri until 2020 already.
Just in doing some basic research, here are other players linked to Tottenham Hotspur this summer with ties back to Inter Milan (or vice-versa):
- Rafinha: Yes, I know this may be a bit of a sore spot for some Interisti as Inter didn’t activate the buy clause for the Barcelona midfielder, but apparently Tottenham wants him.
- Moussa Dembele: This one works in the other direction as Inter Milan have reportedly offered in the neighborhood of €16 million for the Tottenham midfielder. Bear in mind, Hotspur wanted close to €30 million to start. Rumors have suggested there have been players involved in the swap and, possibly, Mauro and Wanda Icardi’s first born.
- Joao Mario: I’m really okay with the fact that the Portuguese international isn’t coming back to Inter. I’m also okay with the fact that he isn’t coming back to Serie A anytime soon either. What gets me is that he was considered by Tottenham to help pay down the ask for Dembele. Not sure Mario is worth the hassle.
- Malcom: It was previously reported that Inter Milan was in for the Bordeaux attacker, whether it made sense or not. But, those talks may have stalled. Now, it seems he may be lined up for a move to either Liverpool or, you guessed it … Tottenham.
- Ivan Perisic: While it hasn’t been wildly promoted, many top clubs in the Premier League have been linked to Perisic at one time or another. Tottenham are certainly no exception.
- Milan Skriniar: After a standout year with the Nerazzurri, Skriniar justifiably received a ton of attention by top European clubs, including Tottenham … or at least it was reported so.
Maybe I am reaching, but it just seems like one team shouldn’t be focusing on another so much.
Of course, I could be wrong.
What do you think? Post your comments below!