clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Luciano Spalletti extends Inter Milan contract

New, comments

After months of waiting, club locks manager in until 2021.

FC Internazionale v US Sassuolo - Serie A
FC Internazionale head coach Luciano Spalletti looks on during the Serie A match between FC Internazionale and US Sassuolo at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza on May 12, 2018 in Milan, Italy.
Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images

News out of Inter Milan Tuesday had the signing of manager Luciano Spalletti to a long-term contract through 2021.

After last season, Spalletti said he would be patient before entering into any negotiations on a new deal. However, after a strong transfer window, the club elected to extend the Nerazzurri manager for another three seasons.

“I want to thank the Zhang family and the club for giving me the chance to extend my contract,” said Spalletti, on the club’s website. “I would also like to stress that the signature was merely official confirmation of what was already in place, as my desire to continue fighting together for the good of this massive club was never in doubt.

“We’ve always had a relationship based on respect and mutual trust. Our daily discussions have made it clearer than ever that we want the same things for this club and its fans. Today, we have strengthened the shared ambitions of the Nerazzurri’s world.”

Club president Steven Zhang said that after last season’s success, it made sense to lock Spalletti up to a long-term contract.

“We are pleased to extend our contract with Mr Spalletti and continue our efforts to build one of the top teams in the world of football,” Zhang said. “Today’s agreement shows our strong confidence in him and the long-term solidarity of the group.”

In Spalletti’s first season, Inter started with a 16-match unbeaten streak and qualified for the Champions League this season after a thrilling win in the last match of the season at Lazio.

This summer, Spalletti and sporting director Piero Ausilio brought in reinforcements like Radja Nainggolan, Stefan De Vrij, Kwadwo Asamoah, Lautaro Martinez, Sime Vrsaljko and Matteo Politano. As well as keeping ahold of stars Mauro Icardi, Milan Skriniar and Ivan Perisic.

FC Internazionale v Bologna FC - TIM Cup
avier Zanetti, FC Internazionale board member Steven Zhang and President of FC Internazionale Erick Thohir look during the TIM Cup match between FC Internazionale and Bologna FC at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza on January 17, 2017 in Milan, Italy.
Photo by Pier Marco Tacca/Getty Images

As for other management, Football Italia reports, via Corriere dello Sport, that majority owners Suning Group are prepared to buy out the rest of Erick Thohir’s interest in the club — a little more than 31 percent.

The move would give Suning Group a 99.6 percent ownership stake in the club with the remaining 0.4 percent being held by other shareholders.

Earlier this month Thohir sold off all of his shares in Major League Soccer club DC United, signaling his potential intention to divest all of his football holdings.

Thohir purchased nearly 70 percent of the club in 2016 from previous owner Massimo Moratti, leaving Moratti with the remaining 30 percent. Later that summer, Thohir bought out Moratti and sold a majority of his shares to Jindong Zhang — CEO of Suning Group.


What do you think? Post your comments below!