Leonardo Pavoletti picked up a knee injuy during Cagliari’s first game of the season and has been ruled out for up to six months. Pavoletti, typically such a threat, is likely to be replaced by Alberto Cerri.
Nico Barella is likely to start on the bench, according to Tuttosport. The former Cagliari midfielder will have to wait for his full debut despite being given half an hour at the end of the Lecce opener. A shortened preseason, due in part to his involvement with the Italian youth team, has meant Barella isn’t at maximum fitness yet.
Diego Godin remains out. Stefan De Vrij is not fully fit after sustaining an injury in the warm-up against Lecce. Whether or not he plays is a question.
New signing Alexis Sanchez is not expected to feature. But Cristiano Biraghi is likely to be on the bench.
Points of emphasis:
- How will Inter’s midfield trio — who struggled to maintain a solid base last week and often left Brozovic exposed — handle the rotation of Nainggolan and Birsa?
- Keep an eye on how Inter try to target Ragnar Klavan. He cannot keep up with the speed of Lautaro nor the power of Lukaku.
How to Watch:
Those in the UK can watch the game on Premier Sports 1 or stream via the Premier Sports Player. All Serie A games will be on ESPN+ for US viewers. International viewers can check their own listings here.
Pre-Game Reading List:
- I went into the Film Room to breakdown some of the sides issue maintaining a base last week, why Luis Alberto is so special, how the knew goal kick rule is impacting teams already, and the use of first-time channel balls in Conte’s system.
- Inter’s third kit is set to be released soon. Harry Wyatt took a look at the history of Inter’s third strips.
- Luca Prisciandaro broke down all the implications of Inter being drawn into the Champions League’s so-called Group of Death.