So, we really still don’t know who will be returning for Inter Milan on the front line. Mauro Icardi could be staying. Lautaro Martinez isn’t going anywhere, but Ivan Perisic could be. Matteo Politano should be redeemed, but Keita Balde is up in the air.
Heck, we aren’t even sure if we’ll have the same manager after the season is over.
But, if reports are true (and they more frequently are wrong), Inter management is dipping its toe in the transfer waters to check out potential attacking options in the summer transfer season.
All fingers point to Perisic going by the wayside at season’s end, so the Nerazzurri are starting the process of shopping for a winger. However, it is also possible they could seek out another attacker, even with Icardi potentially staying and Martinez not likely going anywhere.
So, with that, here is a list of those players that could be on Inter Milan’s radar in the attack as the summer transfer season closes in:
- Hakim Ziyech – The Morocco international is a winger, but he can also slot in and be an attacker as well. His versatility is solid and he has helped lead Ajax Amsterdam to the verge of a Champions League final. His 20 goals this season are certainly a tribute to that.
- Federico Chiesa – Chiesa has been one of the only bright spots in Fiorentina’s dismal season this year. The forward has 12 goals and nine assists in 38 matches, but rumor has it that Bayern Munich has submitted a €70 million bid for him already. However, he could be viewed as an investment for the future, at that price.
- Ayoze Perez – The 25-year-old Spaniard has notched 11 goals in 38 matches for Premier League side Newcastle United. With a market value of just under €12 million, he could come to Inter Milan cheaper than the options mentioned above. However, Napoli are also interested in the forward, which could drive his price up.
- Mario Balotelli – This one is a long shot and not likely to really happen, but Balotelli has had a bit of a resurgence in Marseille. However, it’s unlikely Inter will want Balotelli’s drama either with or following Icardi’s. But, he is out of contract at the end of the season and could be a free transfer for the Nerazzurri.
- Yacine Brahimi – Another potentially free transfer is FC Porto’s Brahimi. It would be risk for Inter to go after the Algeria international and it is difficult to see how he would fit in to the current make-up of the squad. Plus, there are plenty of Premier League squads interested in his services. One more thing, Brahimi is 29 years old, which adds to the risk for Inter.
- Olivier Giroud – Yes, he has a World Cup title to his credit and he has proven to be a great asset to Chelsea. That makes it unlikely he would move to Serie A. A more probable move would be back to France.
- Max Kruse – Kruse doesn’t get a lot of headlines, mainly because he plays for Werder Bremen – sitting ninth in the Bundesliga – but he does have 12 goals in 36 matches for the German side. I’m just not sure how he translates to playing in Serie A after playing in the Bundesliga since 1998.
- Arjen Robben – While he isn’t planning to retire at the age of 35, Robben isn’t likely coming to Serie A either. Major League Soccer or the Chinese Super League are the most probable destinations for the Dutch winger/striker.
- Daniel Sturridge – Here is another really, really long shot for Inter Milan. Sturridge is far from the prime when he paired with Luis Suarez at Liverpool and odds are he stays with the Reds, if they are willing to keep him.
- Danny Welbeck – He has titles to his credit, but he also has a lot of injuries too. Plus, it is always difficult to gauge how Arsenal players work out at other clubs. It is more likely, if he moves, it will be to another Premier League side, like Everton.
There are others out there that could be available either free or for a price. But, until we have the full picture concerning Inter Milan, its management and who stays and goes, it is difficult to determine what direction they will go in with regards to attacking players in the summer.
What do you think? Post your comments below!